Total Pageviews

Dindi van der Hoek


Dindi van der Hoek (1976) graduated in 1999 from the Willem de Kooning Academy and the Piet Zwart Institute (2000) and developed a photographic portfolio with unique images which, for the greater part, are shot under water.
The fascinating forms of the human body caused by the water’s reflections combined with her unconventional perspective about physical aesthetics determines the appearance of Dindi’s work.
This specific mode of under water photography reflects Dindi’s deep passion and dedication to her art.
She continuously aims to convey duality and inner contradictions in her work and uses historical references and sources such as Francis Bacon and Caravaggio which influence her overall approach and technique.
At first glance her images may seem fairytale-like, but in reality her work is thought provoking and complex.
Through her camera lens she allows us to have a look into a mysterious almost unconscious world, where multiple interpretations may co-exist.







Dindi van der Hoek: "I transform these human figures by dressing them in clothing that resembles a mythical or fairy tale world. As I have a background in fashion as well (MBO graduate in Fashion and Clothing in 1995) I am able to design and make these costumes myself.
This allows me to manipulate them to the intentions of my photographic work.
In my most recent work I have taken my photography one step further.                                       
Whereas in previous work my models floated vaguely in an unidentified space, they are now included in an overall picture, as I have added detailed backgrounds to my work.
Thus I refer to famous classical painting styles, which I try to give a contemporary content.
While some appreciate my work for it’s aesthetic quality, I am convinced that it is especially those aspects that contradict with these aesthetics, which define the ultimate quality of my work.
In my latest series "Jardin de la Femme" I want to project a certain female image: on the one hand vulnerable and on the other inaccessible.

Found at We Find Wildness

2 comments:

LE CHEMIN DES GRANDS JARDINS said...

Nous sommes noyés par cette vision de personnages et de corps dont on cherche à quoi peut se rattacher leur existence. Donner naissance à des monstres n'est pas anodin. Créer des cauchemars se révèlera peut-être intéressant lorsque l'électrochoc né de ces visions nous remettra les pieds sur terre. Folie et créations sont parfois bien proches. Cela n'enlève en rien à ton talent, m^me si ta démarche est surprenante. Un peu trop à la mode ... ?

Bonne soirée,

Roger

Angelo said...

Yes! too fashion!
Tomorrow will be too photo.. Day after tomorrow will be too conceptual.. Next year we will be too many skulls..
Thanks for your comments! Interesting your art!
I hope this blog can you find inspiration for new works!

Best Regards
A_

-